Comparative Heating Systems Study
Revised for 2012, the updated study shows that propane-fueled systems perform strongly in all regions of the country as measured by several key factors.
The 2012 study
Space heating and cooling systems use about 56 percent of the energy in most American homes. Reducing the expense of running those systems plays a large part in the decision to buy a new home or to upgrade an existing unit. But choosing the right system requires consideration of many complex factors, including the cost of equipment and installation, energy cost, system performance, service life, and impact on the environment.
To assist contruction professionals in making cost-based recommendations to homeowners about the heating system most appropriate for their home or project, PERC asked an independent research firm, Newport Partners, to author the Comparative Study and Analysis of Residential Heating Systems.
The study evaluated 15 heating systems in both new and existing homes in 20 locations across the United States, and compared the costs and benefits associated with the systems' purchase and installation, energy consumption, service life, and carbon dioxide emissions from operations. Overall, the study showed that propane-fueled systems performed strongly in all regions of the country as measured by simple return on investment, lower CO2 emissions, and efficacy as a backup system.
See for yourself
There are three ways to review the results of the study.
- Download and view the fact sheet, which provides a top-level summary of the study's key findings.
- Download the full study. This includes comparisons of all heating systems considered by the study, in all climate zones.
- Use the interactive tool. Zoom in to your part of the country to see how propane heating systems fared against alternatives.< LI>
The Propane Interactive Training Module allows you to:
- Estimate annual energy costs.
- Lower a home's HERS index.
- Identify the best heating system for your climate region.
- Explore a fully integrated propane home.
- Find high-perfomance propane products.
Interact with the tool icons at the bottom
to get started!