Recent Power Outages Reinforce Importance of Standby Generators
WASHINGTON (August 23, 2010)Record-high temperatures this summer have resulted in increased energy use and a number of power outages throughout the United States, reinforcing the importance of standby generators. Standby power from a propane-fueled generator ensures that refrigerated medications, infant formula, and fresh well water are readily accessible and medical devices, sump pumps, and home security systems keep operating. Generators can also keep food from spoiling and allow homeowners to stay connected for both personal and work purposes.
The Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) offers the following considerations to help construction professionals meet the needs of their customers:
- Homeowners who rely on electronic home medical devices are prime candidates for a permanent standby generator. A generator also protects medicines that require refrigeration.
- Propane offers a reliable energy source for standby generators that can be connected easily to the homeowner's existing fuel line. In the event of severe weather, other fuels, such as gasoline or diesel, may be difficult to acquire.
- If a sump pump is used to keep a home dry, then a standby generator is a wise investment. Generators can also ensure that electronically operated wells or water purifiers continue to provide fresh drinking water.
- Home-based businesses can continue to operate, which is especially important if customers are in areas that have not been affected by the outage.
- Standby generators will automatically turn on in the event of a power outage, minimizing the impact of any power loss and giving frequent travelers peace of mind while they are away from home.